What are the Best Vitamins for Men?
What are the Best Vitamins for Men?
Multivitamins come in handy when you need to meet your micronutrient requirements or when experiencing a nutrient deficiency. Nutrient deficiencies can come from many sources. The CDC’s Second Nutrition Report, an assessment of the diet and nutrition in the United States population, concluded that there are a bunch of specific nutrients lacking in the average American’s diet.
Nutrient deficiencies can have long-lasting health effects if not addressed. Micronutrient levels in the body vary by age and sex, can be affected by chronic health conditions and medication. Almost one third people in the United States may be at risk for at least one vitamin deficiency.
Men may need nutritional supplements if there are issues with nutrient absorption, if they follow a restrictive diet, or have the need to eliminate certain foods due to an allergy or health condition. Taking a multivitamin can drastically improve a man’s mood and overall sense of wellbeing.
Vitamin B12: A Common Vitamin Deficiency in Men
Vitamin B12 is a commonly deficient vitamin in men. Up to 15 percent of the general population in the United States is deficient in B12. Studies have found that men tend to be at greater risk for B12 deficiencies than women.
Vitamin B12 is naturally found in many animal products such as meat, poultry, fish, eggs, and dairy items. Some breakfast cereals and nutritional yeast products can also contain B12. This vitamin assists with red blood cell formation, DNA synthesis and neurological functioning.
Symptoms of B12 deficiency may include fatigue, weakness, constipation, loss of appetite and subsequent weight loss. Tingling and numbness of the hands and feet may also occur. Cognitively, mood swings, confusion, memory loss and difficulty concentrating may be present.
Men are also at greater risk for Vitamin D deficiencies.
Vitamin D-3 Deficiencies in Men
Vitamin D-3 is essential for cellular functions that keep bones healthy and strong, promote cell growth, and improve immune functioning. Vitamin D is thought to also play a role in regulating mood and boosting energy levels. Gathered primarily from the sun, vitamin D is an essential vitamin for all people. However, if you live in an area where the sun isn’t always shining, supplementing with a D-vitamin is the best way to keep levels at an optimal point.
For men trying to get their partner pregnant, Vitamin D helps regulate male reproduction and androgen (testosterone) status. Vitamin D deficient men in one observational study were found to also have low levels of testosterone, an important hormone for fertility in men. In another recent study, men with average vitamin D levels were documented to have better sperm motility than men with deficient levels.
Vitamin C and Vitamin E Deficiencies in Men
Men also benefit from adequate levels of vitamin C and vitamin E, both of which act as antioxidants. Antioxidants work to protect the body’s cells from damage from oxidative stress and free radicals.
Vitamin C has been found to regenerate vitamin E, meaning these vitamins work together to lower oxidative stress and promote health and wellness.
When researching a new daily vitamin, there are many things to consider. Talk with a healthcare professional before starting a new vitamin regimen to be sure it is the best plan to address your nutritional needs.
What Men Need to Consider When Looking for the Best Vitamin
Important things to consider when looking into a new vitamin:
- Percentage of Daily Value: The Percent Daily Value (%DV) is how much a nutrient in a single serving of a dietary supplement contributes to an individual’s daily diet.
- In general, 5% DV or less is considered low and 20% DV or more is considered high.
- Quality: Invest in your health. Consider higher quality vitamins that have been scientifically studied for safety and effectiveness. Seals from organizations like the US Pharmacopeia (USP) and the National Science Foundation (NSF) indicate the product has been third-party tested for quality and accuracy.
- Allergens: Some vitamin supplements may include allergens. If you have any specific allergies (including dairy, wheat, eggs), be sure to read the ingredient list before trying any new supplements.
- Form: Vitamins are often available in many different forms. Capsules, dissolvable tablets, liquids and gummies are some of the most common forms. Which form are you most comfortable with? (And most likely to actually take!)
- Budget: Prices for vitamins can range from inexpensive to more costly. Invest in your health, but don’t spend an excessive amount of money on vitamins that haven’t been scientifically tested and backed. Always look for high quality ingredients from reputable brands.
- Specific Health Concerns: Some vitamins and minerals can cause problems if taken in too high of a dose (Vitamin E and calcium, for example). Speak with your healthcare professional before starting new vitamin supplements.
The Best Vitamin for Men aspiring to Fatherhood
An important part of life for many men is fatherhood. Becoming a father can be the greatest and most rewarding experience of a man’s life. It can also be challenging. Making sure to have all the necessary levels of vitamins and minerals can help promote general well-being and regulate mood in new dads. This is why finding the best vitamin for men is such a common search amongst men of all ages.
Brands like Hims, Perelel, Roman, CareOf, Ritual, and Athletic Greens sell supplements that assist with overall health and wellness. Dadpack is the only brand that specifically targets the nutritional needs of new and aspiring dads.
Dadpack’s daily vitamin packs for men are a convenient option for soon-to-be dads. Comprehensive daily supplements are carefully designed to address the most common nutrient deficiencies found in fathers. Increase sperm count, enhance sperm health, and improve sperm motility with Dadpack’s Fertility Essentials pack. The Fertility Essentials pack is specifically designed to address the most common nutrient shortages associated with sperm deficiencies.
And it doesn’t stop there. Once you’ve achieved dad-status, Dadpack’s Daily Essentials packets can help boost energy, aid with better sleep, improved mood, and optimized health. Designed to address the most common nutrient deficiencies found in dads, Dadpack’s Daily Essentials are sure to keep you thriving through all the ups and downs of new fatherhood.